Monday, October 19, 2009

The Social Networking Cleanse

I've decided that Facebook consumes too much of my time. It's an easy trap for stay at home mom's, because it can be a source, if you will, to the outside world. Adult conversation. Grown-up-ness. In one respect- it's a tool that has allowed me to continue with some sort of socialization during these years I'm in- raising small children, at home.......

In another respect- it can trap you into a sort of... I don't know? What is it? Hard to explain.

Basically- I was spending my 'free' time "Facebooking". I'm doing a cleanse. A detox. Whatever you wanna call it. I'm trying to figure out a way to better spend my time.

It needs to be productive. I'm blogging during my 'Facebook Detox' in an effort to still feel like I'm talking to somebody- even though it's just myself- which in and of itself could be a pretty bad thing- 'talking to myself'... but- WAIT! I'm blogging. That means it's for other people to read. OR! It's like a journal for me to refer to. Ok. I feel better. I'm not TOTALLY and ONLY talking to myself.

Anyway. Right now- it's 3:00. (almost) I spent most of the afternoon outside. With my girls. I built a HUGE fire in the fire pit, and tried to do some yard clean up. I killed an ant pile. The girls soaked in some Vitamin D while they made a 'stew' of dirt, water, leaves, sticks, and ???? I don't think I want to know what else.

It's sitting outside- as I type- waiting on Kyla to go back out and finish 'making' it.

OH!! I almost forgot this! I put a rug out on the grass (in the DIRECT sunlight- sooo warm!) and we sat out there with a book (Mrs. Pigglewiggle) It's a 'chapter' book of Kyla's. And every other day or so- I read them a chapter. It's fun, actually- because it's a great book!!!! We sat, on the rug- with dried apricots and Cape Cod Parmesan and Garlic Chips (weirdo combination, I know!!!) I read- and turned the little girl (Mary's) name into ZOE's name. It was school time- quality time- play time- outside time.

I'm learning how to be a mom. I'm learning how to NOT depend on Facebook for my daily doses of 'grown up' time. I'm sure I can figure it out (eventually)

I think, after I get through this whole process- I'm going to try to learn how to sew. You know. In my spare time.


P.S. It is now 3:09 PM and from whatever time this blog says I posted it, til now- that' show LONG it took me to type out these few paragraphs. Mommy's World is Cah-Razy!!

I just took an orange slice out of Leah's hand- and she made 'orange juice' on the floor for me when she squeezed onto it for DEAR LIFE because she wanted to 'keep it'. Not eat it. Just. Keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment