Monday, April 26, 2010

Lunch: Burritos and More.....

This weeks lunch menu is SCRUMPTIOUS.  Easy.  Convenient (because I pre-made it all today).  And..... yep,  HEALTHY!

1 bag of pre-grilled chicken (Super Sale for 1 pound @ $3.50)
2 cans of organic black beans ($0.89 per can x2)
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes ($0.50 x1)
2 bags of shredded cheese ($1.99 per bag x2)
2 bags of burritos ($1.99 per bag x2)
*can you tell that Kroger was having a $1.99 sale this week?*
Fajita Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Salt

Total Cost of this week's lunch: $13.74.  It will feed the four of us (my husband is eating out this week- that will change soon, though.  I'm in the process of creatively finding a way to get him to eat from home) for 5 days, making each meal, per person, only $0.69 per person.  Now? We'll add some apples, and perhaps cottage cheese to this, but that only bumps up the price to (maybe?) $1.00 per meal on average.

I mixed all this goodness (minus the cheese and burritos) in a pan to blend all the flavors, in the oven on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I first made 12 (nice sized) burritos using the cheese and mixture.  I crisped each burrito on my griddle to sort of seal them, and bagged them individually.   These will feed us for the entire week, because they're large enough to cut into half and serve alongside some wedged apples.
I also made a few quesadillas to serve for today's lunch.

My girls LOVED this meal.  I served it with cottage cheese today. (Kroger brand container was only $1, it serves 4)

And? Who wants to eat the same breakfast and lunch ever-single-day-of-the-week?  From the reaction I got today- it's likely my girls and I will want to; but we may (or may not) stick a few of those burritos in the freezer and go with a good ol' fashioned PB&H (honey).

That meal choice cheapens our lunch dramatically- though it's still healthy.  I buy organic peanut butter (Kroger brand for $3.59 usually last through PLENTY of sandwiches) and served with honey takes out the high sugar content of the jelly (Although we do purchase the brand that is strictly fruit and juice, no sugar or corn syrup is added)

No comments:

Post a Comment