Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Lot about Nothing

And there is A LOT to say about nothing.

NOthing  is what it felt like we had over a month ago.  It's what we were left with.
Oh, one day, (who knows when), I'll spill the beans about the train wreck that created this nothing-ness, but today is not the day.

I'm learning the importance of "mute".  Shhhhhh.   Just be quiet.  Say nothing.

Nothing.


Nothing: (noun)
1.     no thing; not anything; naught: to say nothing.
2.
no part, share, or trace (usually followed by of ): The houseshowed nothing of its former magnificence.
3.
something that is nonexistent.
4.
nonexistence; nothingnessThe sound faded to nothing.
5.
something or someone of no importance or significance:Money is nothing when you're without health.



I've had a lot of great one-liners pop into my fuzzy head regarding this "nothing" epidemic.
One true statement, that has replayed over and over, is this:

"It's when we've been stripped of everything, that we discover everything that we truly have."

I'm not sure if that's an "Amber Original" or not.
One time, in high school, I thought I invented the most amazing quote EVER:
"Sarcasm is spoken when there's nothing left to say."
But after a while, my friend pointed out "Oh!  That's from To Kill a Mockingbird!"
And by dern, she was right!

Any-who....

Being stripped of everything is turning out to be one of the most exhausting, yet rewarding experiences of my life.   I've had nothing.  But in that nothing, I've been given everything.

Friendship that comes to me, with my hands empty, and my self fully drenched in our circumstance.  I have nothing to offer but humility, and gratitude.  And yet, friendship comes to me still.  

Over and over, God has used specific friends to bless me.  TO encourage me.  To call me.  To talk to me.  To give me great gifts of comfort and understanding, and food, and clothes, and things that smell pretty.

I keep thinking "I've got to give something back."
But I have nothing.
I can only receive.  

It's humbling.









No comments:

Post a Comment